Terrible news out of Golling, Austria, where a 45-year-old Firefighter was killed in the Line of Duty by electrocution. This happened with four, 3rd & 4th grade children in the bucket of an aerial device, along with the Firefighter.
During a demonstration of the fire apparatus as part of a kids field day earlier this week, the Firefighter, who had kids in the bucket of the extended aerial, suffered a fatal electric shock. Miraculously, the children were unhurt physically-even though they were transported to be evaluated.
The exact cause of how this happened isn’t clear, but it appears that part of the boom came in contact with electrical lines. When the electric shock occurred, other Firefighters and electrical technicians were able to turn off the power, so the Firefighter and the children could be removed. The damage to the boom made it where they could not retract the boom automatically, and it had to be lowered in an override, emergency mode. Our condolences to all those affected. Rest In Peace.