Mike Wilbur


A man was seriously injured in a collision with a fire engine responding to an emergency call.

The collision happened at Wilmslow Road’s junction with Barlow Moor Road and School Lane in Didsbury.

The 41-year-old, who hasn’t been named, was given first aid by firefighters from the engine at the scene.

He was then taken to hospital.

Greater Manchester Police said he suffered serious injuries, but described his condition in hospital as ‘stable’.

Images from the scene show the damaged fire engine stationary near traffic lights and a crossing at the junction.

The road was closed for investigations for several hours, with a large cordon in place.

Paramedics were called to the scene at 12.47am on Saturday morning.

Tony Hunter, assistant chief fire officer for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire engine, from Withington fire station, was responding to reports of a building fire.

No further information about that incident has been revealed.

An investigation is now underway and police are appealing for witnesses.

Mr Hunter said: “At 12.47am on Saturday 28 December, a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service fire engine from Withington station was involved in a collision with a pedestrian at the junction of Wilmslow Road and School Lane in Didsbury.

“The individual involved in the accident, which occurred at a road junction as crews were responding to reports of a building fire, received first aid from our firefighters at the scene before being conveyed to hospital by colleagues from North West Ambulance Service.

Police inspect the fire engine (Image: ASP)

“GMFRS has been informed that his condition is described as stable at this time.

“There is currently a joint investigation taking place between Greater Manchester Police and the fire and rescue service to establish exactly what occurred and it is anticipated the investigation will conclude before the New Year.

“This has been a distressing incident and our thoughts are with the individual concerned and his friends and family at what must be a difficult time.

Read more of today’s top stories here

“As a fire and rescue service we are also working to support our firefighters who were on the fire engine at the time, some of whom are understandably shaken by what has occurred.

“Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service serves all communities across the city-region every single day of the year.

“The safety and wellbeing of the public, as well as that of our crews, is a priority and central to all the work we do.

The road was closed for several hours (Image: ASP)

“GMFRS will ensure that, if necessary, lessons are learned from what has occurred in Didsbury and we wish the injured party a speedy recovery.”

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said the fire engine was ‘en route to an emergency’.

The force confirmed a 41-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries, where he remained today in a stable condition.

Pc Paul Joynson, of GMP’s Serious Investigation Collision Unit, said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the injured male and we hope very much that he makes a speedy recovery.

Follow Us